Tuesday, March 4, 2008

When I am Thin

Kate Harding in The Shapely Prose said:
“… the Fantasy of Being Thin is not just about becoming small enough to be perceived as more acceptable. It is about becoming an entirely different person – one with far more courage, confidence, and luck than the fat you has. It’s not just, “When I’m thin, I’ll look good in a bathing suit”; it’s “When I’m thin, I will be the kind of person who struts down the beach in a bikini, making men weep.” See also:• When I’m thin, I’ll have no trouble finding a partner/reinvigorating my marriage.• When I’m thin, I’ll have the job I’ve always wanted.• When I’m thin, I won’t be depressed anymore.• When I’m thin, I’ll be an adventurous world traveler instead of being freaked out by any country where I don’t speak the language and/or the plumbing is questionable.• When I’m thin, I’ll become really outdoorsy.• When I’m thin, I’ll be more extroverted and charismatic, and thus have more friends than I know what to do with. "

I found this in another blog post, and it really struck me. I need to think about this.

1 comment:

JDF said...

Such a good post! And this is one of the major lures of dieting, this dream of changing everything that's wrong or that you don't like in your life by controlling your weight.

I think my next post will be When I am Fat...thanks for the inspiration.

I'm adding you to my blogroll, honey!